February 13, 2014

Port Wine Sauce

4 years ago, we took a Carnival cruise with our best friends to celebrate our upcoming 10 year Wedding Anniversary!  Just about every night for dinner I had a steak that had a delicious port wine sauce.  I got to thinking the other day that I wanted to recreate it for dinner.  And I did just that tonight as an early Valentine's Dinner for Nate and me.  :)

I have never cooked anything with wine before.  I don't even drink wine or drink any alcohol for the matter.  I asked on facebook for some suggestions last week.  I got a few answers on how to make the sauce which wasn't my question.  LOL  A friend said to get something cheap so I kept that in mind.  While at Wegmans last weekend I looked at the port wine section.  The $6 bottle looked good to me so that's what I put in the cart.  It's by Sheffield Cellars: Tawny Port of California.

Nate opened the bottle for me and it smelled good.  He tasted it and said it was really good.  I made this port sauce with my port.  I tasted it when it was almost done and it tasted pretty good.

I made flat iron steak, bacon asparagus and roasted red potatoes.  It was all delicioous!  :)

The steak and port wine sauce tasted very similar to the one I had on the Carnival cruise ship.  Next time, I want to thicken the port sauce up some more so it's not as runny.  Nate enjoyed it a lot.  Perfect dinner for a snow day.  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment