August 28, 2011

Stuffed Tomatoes

I found a very good recipe in the Newspaper the other day by Alision Ladman and I clipped it out and decided I would make it. Of course, I didn't follow the recipe exactly and added different things. For lunch today I made them and they were a hit!

First you need to slice of the top of your tomatoes.



Then hollow them out...


Then make your filling, scoop into tomatoes and top with cheese. Let them bake for about 15 to 20 min.


Delicious.....

Nate loved them. He actually said "I never thought I'd ever eat a tomato like this". He's not a tomato fan until now. :D YEY

Here is the recipe:

tomatoes (I had 5)
sausage
3 tbs butter (unsalted)
W sauce
bacon bits
small diced onion
diced celery
minced garlic
parsley flakes
bread crumbs
black pepper
santa fe rice
shredded mozzarella cheese
Tomato sauce

I first cooked the sausage with the 3tbs butter and W sauce. Once cooked then add minced garlic, diced celery, onion, and bacon bits. Then add some black pepper and parsley. Cook your rice. I used the 90 second Santa Fe Rice packet. Drain the sausage mixture and add to a large bowl. Add the rice to the bowl with bread crumbs, black pepper and some cheese. I tried it and liked it then I had Nate try it and he said "how about some tomato sauce", so I added some hunts tomato sauce to it and mixed it in. Spoon the mix into your hollowed out tomatoes. Sprinkle some cheese on top and bake it. Next time I make it I'm going to add in some Italian seasoning blend. I think it will make it even better. Oh yeah.....I had enough mix leftover so I put it in a freezer bag and it's ready for next time. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment