August 14, 2011

Handmade T-shirt Quilt

A few years ago, Kristen made Nate a t-shirt quilt for his birthday using all his old t-shirts from Stafford High School. It's so comfy to snuggle up in. Kristen promised Ashley and me that she would teach us how to make one.


Here is a picture of Nate's t-shirt quilt!


First off, you need a big area to work in. A lot of table space is key. Kristen rented out a room at a church right near her house. It was the perfect little room to get stuff done in. Good idea K! :)


Some of your fabric will need to be ironed so make sure you have an iron and ironing board.


I brought along Nate's t-shirt quilt to use as a guide to lay my pieces as they were measured and cut out.

Once you get your strips done you can go ahead and cut out your shirts. It's good to use shirts that are worn out, or no longer fit. I used a bunch of old station shirts. Either the shirts are too big for me, have old logo or are just old. I also used some headphone tees I had.



I didn't have enough regular shirts so I cut some of the logos from the corners of shirts to use piece together into one large square. :)


Always remember when sewing to sew pretty side to pretty side. :) I ended up having some issues with the way I measured but Ashley and Kristen helped me fix it where only we know the imperfections. :)


You need fleece and quilt batting. The batting goes inside your quilt and the fleece is your back.


Add your quilt face down onto the fleece and pin down.


Then sew along the edge of the quilt.....


Ashley is helping me out here. She's really fast on the sewing machine and she just whipped along finishing the sewing. You have to make sure you leave a medium size opening at one end so you'll be able to turn it inside out. :)


Once you turn it inside out.......




Ashley's VCU Quilt:



Kristen's JMU Quilt for Dave:



All 3 finished Quilts:

It took us from 9am until about 12am. haha But it was worth it. It feels good to start a project and end it all in the same day. It was an awesome day. Thanks Kristen and Ashley! :)

2 comments:

  1. Love them! So glad we finally made this happen! I love my quilt :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. me too! :) I want to do another in the future. haha :)

    ReplyDelete