September 26, 2009

Greetings....

This little guy greeted me on my front door the other day. I thought it was awesome and grabbed the camera. This was one of my better shots. Of course, Harley came over and put his paw on the door and the little guy disappeared.

I just looked up praying mantises online and learn a little more about them.

My favorite part.....(in red) (wiki)
"The female may start feeding by biting off the male’s head (as with any prey), and if mating had begun, the male’s movements may become even more vigorous in its delivery of sperms." How nice. You go girl! You bite that head off. LOL "The male engages the female in courtship dance, to change her interest from feeding to mating." And of course the males are always trying to sweet talk the females just like humans. :)

Some more interesting facts.....
"Larger species have been known to prey on small lizards, frogs, birds, snakes, and even rodents, basically anything that it can successfully capture and devour. Most species are known to engage in cannibalism". That's crazy!! I thought they liked grass and plants.

No comments:

Post a Comment