April 21, 2012

Growing my own peppers and tomatoes

Growing up my dad always had a vegetable garden.  He grew peppers, pole beans, watermelons, cucumbers, tomatoes and more.  He also grew a lot of flowers.  Great memories!  :)  I've always wanted to have a green thumb.  I love bell peppers....red and green.  I buy a bulk bag every week at the grocery store and add them to the dinners I make.  Peppers are just so good and so good for you.  I've also thought about growing tomatoes.  I saw in the Lowes ad the other day that Bonnie Plant Farm tomatoes and herbs are for sale 2 for $3.  I figured that was the perfect little tomato starter plant to try to grow.  I went to Lowes today and got my tomato plant and a pepper plant.  Afterwards, I stopped by and visited my parents and my dad gave me a bag of potting soil.  YEY!  :)

Once I got home I tackled my veggie plants.....


I got 2 little plastic pots for the plants.

The plant has a biodegradable pot with it.  Pretty cool.

I wasn't sure which type of tomato plant I wanted but I saw patio and thought these were perfect since I plan on keeping them on my back deck so I can keep a good eye on them.


Here is the potting mix my dad gave me.  :)


I got a plastic cup and a plastic spoon to help me collect the soil I needed to fill the pots.


I added a little soil to the bottom of the pot and then stuck the plant into the pot.  I then added soil all around the pot until I got to the top.


Here's the soil all around the pot.


Here is my red bell pepper I got.  So excited!  If I have success then I will get a green bell pepper too and try growing those.


I then took my pots outside.  How cute are they?  :)

I gave them some water but I felt a little nervous b/c a big storm was in the forecast.  After about an hour or so it got really dark and the winds started picking up so I grabbed the pots and brought them in the house.  I didn't want them getting blown over.  LOL  I figured on windy, pouring rain days I will bring them in to protect them.  At least for now while they are still 'newborns'.  I'm excited and will be so thrilled if I get any peppers or tomatoes.  :)

2 comments:

  1. aww bonnie plants :) how are they doing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are doing good so far. I've talked to a few people about how they grow their tomatoes. Most ppl have recommended a tomato cage for them to grow up.
    I might have to get back to Lowes in the next couple of weeks and look at tomato cages. I might get a green pepper too while I'm there. :D

    Nate said that they've already grown a little bit and I was looking at them and they sure have.

    ReplyDelete