January 25, 2010

Smith Moutain Lake

Growing up, every Summer my parents would pack us 4 kids up and we'd go to my Grandparents for a week. This was normally our summer vacation. My Grandparents had a house right on the lake. You might recognize the lake if you've ever seen "What about Bob".

Anyways, we would go fishing with my Grandpa and my dad. We'd also go swimming, biking, ride the old timey tractor with my grandpa, eat delicious homemade meals made by my Grandma and just be kids. Sooooo many wonderful memories!! My Grandparents have passed away and my Uncle Kenny, now lives there. I decided to go there on a whim to visit the place where I have lots of memories and to see my Uncle. I also wanted to see what items were left at the house. My mother, Ashley and Kristen all came. Road trip!! :) We left Saturday morning. It takes about 4 hours from FXBG. We got there around 1pm. We also stopped in at the Shoprite and picked up some items for dinner.

'Orpha and Bill" My Grandfather carved there names down by their boat launch.

These are some things my Grandma had on the ledge going down the stairs. I've always liked the bunnies!! :)


Once we checked in with Uncle Kenny and chatted a bit Ashley, Kristen and me decided to take the car and drive around. We ended up at the National D-Day Memorial. After that we stopped in at the Bedford Antique shop and Ashley found some pyrex!!


Then we went back to the lake house and made dinner. We made my Grandma's orange chicken. (Chicken breasts, Cornmeal and Orange juice) We also made baked potatoes, macoroni & cheese, green beans, crossiants, and pumpkin bread. It was all very good and very filling!

We came home yesterday! It was nice chatting with Uncle Kenny and it was great to see the place where I have so many wonderful childhood memories. :)

5 comments:

  1. I always loved the bunnies too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Especially, the one on that little stump. Did you know that he comes off of there? LOL I picked it up and never knew. I thought he was attached to that log. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nope I had no idea it came off, I think I was always afraid to touch anything on that shelf. For some strange reason I have always liked the marbles in that container by the bunny on the stump too. Just reminds me of Grandma and Pop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. those marbles always fascinated me too, lol. and i was scared to touch anything on that shelf too, for fear of breaking something. hah

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was always so scared to touch that stuff too. They do hold very good memories!! :) What is that marble thing anyway? It's kinda like a lava lamp with marbles. haha

    ReplyDelete