June 1, 2014

Lean Turkey Meatloaf Cupcakes

If you're on pinterest then I'm sure you've seen those meatloaf cupcakes.  I've seen them on there before and I've probably even repinned them myself.

I meal planned the other day for dinners this week.  I wanted to do something different than our usual chicken dishes.  Chicken can get boring especially when you eat it every night.  One of the meals I planned was turkey meatloaf, mashed potatoes and green beans.  I decided instead of using my loaf pan that I would use my cupcake pan for the meatloaf.  It worked perfectly.  :)  I skipped on the green beans and decided to make a zucchini side dish instead.

Turkey Meatloaf cupcake

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

For the Meatloaf, I used my Grandma Runyon's recipe and added a fresh pepper and onion.

Lean Ground Turkey
1 egg
1 slice of bread (tiny pieces)
half a white onion (cut into pieces)
half a yellow bell pepper (cut into pieces)
black pepper  (eye ball it)
parsley flakes (eye ball it)
stewed tomatoes  (I took out a few of the tomatoes and set aside)

I put everything into a bowl and mixed real well until all was combined.  I then added the meatloaf mixture to a pam sprayed cupcake pan.  I was able to get 11 cupcakes from this.  I put a old cookie sheet under cupcake pan for any drippings.  I baked for about 45 minutes on 350.  Once the tops brown they are done.

Zucchini mix

Small zucchini (sliced into rounds)
bonita squash (cut into pieces)
leftover stewed tomatoes (cut up)
other half a white onion (cut into pieces)
other half a yellow bell pepper (cut into pieces)
black pepper
sea salt
olive oil
minced garlic
red pepper flakes
parsley flakes

I heated my pan with olive oil and minced garlic.  I then added the onion and cooked for about 2 minutes.  I then added pepper and tomatoes and cooked for a minute.  After that I put in the zukes and squash and the seasonings and let it cook up until everything was tender.

Homemade Mashed Potatoes

5 small farm fresh red potatoes (washed and cut into small chunks...I left on skin)
parsley flakes
butter
salt
black pepper
milk (I used unsweetened almond milk)

I boiled a pot of water and added potato chunks when water was ready.  Once the potatoes were done (fork tender) I drained them and put them in a big mixing bowl.  I added some butter, parsley flakes, salt, pepper and milk.  I mixed with my hand mixer until everything was smooth and combined.  I tasted and added a little more salt, and pepper and then mixed again.


You can serve your meatloaf 'cupcakes' with or without mashed potatoes on top.

Enjoy!  These are such a good idea.  I could see them being popular with kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment