June 7, 2014

Homemade Beef n' Broccoli

At the farmers market this morning I got 2 heads of broccoli for dinner tonight.

I got my groceries for the week at Wegmans.  I didn't get steaks though.  The steaks there were just way to expensive for my taste.  I love my Wegmans but I was not about to spend $12 on 1 flank steak when I was spending $11 on 10 boneless chicken breasts (which is 5 meals for my husband and I).   And after seeing a roast there for $116 I almost fainted.  Do people really spend $116 on a beef roast tenderloin?  Who are these people?? 

Anyways, I decided to stop off at another store later for steak. Good thing, I waited because I hit the jackpot at Food Lion.  There were steaks on a managers special because the 'sell by' is tomorrow.  I got a pack of lean beef tips for $1 and some change and I also got 2 steaks for $5.  It was practically a steal or at least to me it was.  I couldn't believe I only spent $7 on meats for 2 different meals.  :)  I'm gonna check in more often on Saturday mornings to see what other meat deals they have.

I cut up all the florets.  I had never done this before so it was new to me.  Sure I've eaten fresh broccoli but I've never cut up a broccoli head.  LOL  I did the best I knew how and I believe I did it right.  Is there a wrong way?  Probably not.  :)

Here's the beautiful broccoli florets.

Lovely

I was inspired by this Beef and Broccoli recipe.  I did not cook mine in a crock pot.  I cooked mine on the stove in my skillet.  It turned out delicious.

You will need:

Steak (cut into pieces)
onion (cut into pieces)
fresh broccoli florets
black pepper
salt
reduced sodium beef broth (1 can)
reduced sodium soy sauce  (eyeball it)
rice vinegar  (eyeball it)
olive oil
minced garlic
red pepper flakes
corn starch (2 tbsp)
brown sugar (1/3 cup)

To your skillet add some olive oil and minced garlic.  Once pan is hot add your steak.  Cook your steak until done.  I like well done.  Add the beef broth, onion, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, soy sauce and rice vinegar.  Mix and let cook up.

After about 5 or so minutes add cornstarch and mix well.  Then add your broccoli, mix up. Let it cook up.

Cooking on the stove.  Bad picture I know but you get it.  I put the lid on the skillet and let it do it's thing.

The flavors were fantastic.  I will make this again.  So simple and tasty.

Another view

I served with whole grain brown rice.  (I only had a little bit of rice because it's not in my medifast diet....a little rice never hurt anyone).  :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment