August 29, 2012

Spotsylvania Farmers Market: Trip 5


Look at my fresh farm produce!  :)  I was happy that today was the Spotsylvania Farmer's Market near my house.  I love going there every Wednesday.  :)  The above picture is what I purchased today.  :)

I had budgeted what cash I had on hand.  I had $23.37!  :)  I knew I could get all sorts of stuff with that much.  I already knew I wanted peppers.  I was out at home and didn't want to get any from the grocery store.  Fresh peppers are my favorite and I truly appreciate all the farmers hard work on growing them.  I surely couldn't grow them because of the horned caterpillars.  At least I tried though.  :)

First off, I went to C&T produce booth and got 6 green peppers (1 has orange in it) for $4.  They were 3 for $2.  What a deal!!  :)  3 red peppers for $3.  I also got 1 tomato, 1 zucchini, and 1 little yellow squash.  The total came to $9.50 and I had a 10% off coupon bringing my total to $8.50.  :)  I saw some homegrown concord grapes.  They were $2.50 per pound.  I didn't want to buy them not knowing if I'd like them so I asked to try one.  The young girl said sure.  I didn't like it at all.  It was kinda spicy tasting to me and then there were seeds.  BLECH  I officially do not like concord grapes.  LOL


Next, I had to get my chocolate chip cookies with sea salt from Nancy's bakery booth.  The baker asked me what I needed and I told him "Well I don't need anything but I want 3 Chocolate chip cookies.  I had him laughing and the lady standing there finishing up a cookie laughing too.  :)  I sooooo funny!  :P  Anyways, my total there was $2.62.

I picked up a small thing of cherry tomatoes at another booth to make Chicken Risotto this weekend.  They were $3.00 for the little quart of them.

Next up, was a booth I'd never seen there before.  It was Valentine's Country Bakery and Meats.  A young Mennonite woman in a beautiful purple colored dress was working there.  She had so many baked goodies.  Pies, whoopies, breads etc.  I decided since we didn't have anymore bread at home that I would get a loaf of the freshly baked wheat bread to try.  It was $4.75.  A little pricey for bread but it's HOMEMADE so I decided to get it!  :)

I then went to a booth that I also get produce from every time I go but I don't know the name.  Next time, I will get the name.  LOL  Anyways, I saw watermelons for $5 or 2 for $9.  There were so many different ones.  I counted up my money and I was .50 cents short.  I'm sure the farmer would have made a deal if I'd asked but I didn't worry about it.

So I left with $4.50.  Not too bad.  :)


On the way home, I drove past a house that had a wheelbarrow full of homegrown watermelons out by the road.  A huge sign said 'WATERMELONS $1.00'.  I pulled in and put $2.00 in the honor system jug and picked out 2 little watermelons.  I love the honor system!  You don't have to deal with anyone pestering you.  You just go up, pick out what you want, pay for it and then take your goods.  No hassle at all.  :)  I was so excited to get the watermelons.  I don't know if they are seedless or not but who cares.  You can't beat $1.00 for a whole watermelon.  :)  I'm going to give the other one to my dad to try.  I remember him growing watermelons when I was little.  They were awesome and I bet these will be just as awesome too.  :)

So after I got home I had $2.50 left over.  I will probably save it for next week.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment