May 17, 2014

Farmers Market and Produce Stand

This morning, I got up early so I could get out the door and run errands.

I first stopped off at the farmers market.

Right now at the markets in Virginia you will find a lot of squash, radishes, beets, spring onions, broccoli, cauliflower, fennel, flowers, strawberries, asparagus, carrots, and potatoes.

Carrots and potatoes

Here's some yellow squash and bonita squash.

Beets.....in purple, red, and orange.  I never really had beets but I'm thinking next weekend I'm going to get some to try.  I guess I'll be busy looking for beets recipes on pinterest.  :)

Such vibrant colors

Radishes.....I am getting a bundle of these next weekend.  I want to try cooking with them.

More radishes at another farmer booth.

Kohlrabi......never heard of this.  The purple looks awesome.  I googled it and it seems to be in the cabbage family.  It can be eaten raw or cooked.  Get this....only 4 calories a slice!  You know that's healthy!!  
I might need to pick some up next weekend and give them a try.  :)

Plenty of flowers, herbs and starter plants for your own garden.  Best of all they are low price and grown by the farmer selling them.  You know exactly where they are coming from.  :)

Broccoli and cauliflower.

Dinosaur kale.....I just loved that they are named 'dinosaur'.  :)

Asparagus

Fennel and Spring onions

Greens

Swiss chard

More flowers

These zinnias were just a buck each!

These little baby squash/zukes caught my eye.  They are adorable.  Everyone seemed to be buying a container of them.  I picked up 2 containers to buy.  I have an idea for a dish for dinner this week with them.

Tons of strawberries!  So ripe and red.  They smell so good when you get near them.  
They are hard to resist their sweetness.

I didn't get any berries....I drove to a farm down the road and picked my own.  :)

I also went to my favorite produce stand to get some other things I needed for the week that I didn't find at the farmers market.

Do you want to see what I got?

cherry tomato starter plant
red potatoes
carrot
6 bell peppers
2 onions
1 greenhouse tomato
asparagus bundle
baby squash and zukes
2 yellow squash
1 bonita squash
1 huge cucumber
(the strawberries are from the farm I went to and picked myself)

How awesome is this bonita squash?  The farmer told me it's just like yellow squash.

The Cherry tomato starter plant.  Look at all the cherry tomatoes.  It's loaded!  It was $4 so I had to get it.

Here's a close-up of the baby zukes.

Baby squash close-up.

No comments:

Post a Comment