June 23, 2013

Homegrown potatoes grown from an actual potato

Yes, you can grow a potato from a potato and I have PROOF.  I got this idea from Pinterest that took me here.  I also found on youtube that you can just put the whole potato in the ground and the potato plants will grow from that too.  So, you don't have to cut the roots off if you don't want to.  Potatoes will still grow.


Here is the potato growth from the beginning to the end.  :)  Enjoy!



DAY 1:

I saw my store bought potatoes had eyes growing on them.  I was mad because I had just bought them recently.  After seeing the pin on pinterest about growing potatoes from potatoes I figured I would try with some of these to see if it actually worked.

I cut off the roots on some of the potatoes.

I planted them in a small pot with some container soil.  Roots should be facing up.

Potatoes covered with soil and they were watered every day.




DAY 15:

Little green leaves poking through.




DAY 20:

I moved the potato plants into another container since more plants were poking up.  I wanted to give them more room so they could grow.

Here's all the potato plants in pots.  One of the stems broke on a plant and I ended up putting it in my compost pile b/c it did die.  The plants can easily be broken.  You have to be very gentle with them.




DAY 26:

The plants kept on growing.  They got plenty of sunshine and water daily.




DAY 33:

4 Potato plants (2 in each container)


I decided to re-pot b/c I felt they needed more room.  All 4 in the big container together.




DAY 40:

Look at how tall they've gotten.

I re-potted them in the biggest pot I had.

Unfortunately, 1 potato plant snapped while I was re-potting.  :(  Ah well you win some and you lose some.




DAY 48:

More growth.




DAY 63:

The potato plants at this point had gotten pretty tall and were leaning.  I had moved them outside because it was warm enough with no more frosts.  I needed something to stake the potatoes with.  I had two wooden stakes that blocked our driveway from when it was resurfaced and as soon as I saw them I knew they would work.

The wooden stakes were perfect and just what I needed to do the job.  I tied the plants to the stakes and sadly one snapped in half leaving me with just 2 potato plants.  But that's okay, I can work with 2.  :)




DAY 78:

Potato plants thriving and a beautiful rich green color.




DAY 103:

Just a close up on the leaves and the tiny blossoms.




DAY 111:

My plan this morning was to dig up the potato plants to see if there were any potatoes.

Here's the potato plants.  Some dead leaves.

I removed the wooden stakes and dumped out the container and then put my hand in and crushed some of the soil to discover.....

POTATOES

I found 7 in total ranging in different sizes.

All washed and clean.  How awesome is that?  You can grow actual potatoes from potatoes.  I can't wait to eat these homegrown potatoes that I GREW!!!!  :)

A close up of the soil in the compost pile.


I will clean up my container, stakes and gloves so they can be reused.


No comments:

Post a Comment